Sunday, September 13, 2009

Personal Statement (Edited)

When I was 11, I was given a corn starch and water mixture to determine if it was in the solid or liquid state during a science experiment. I remember how amazed I was, by the white substance on the plate which was solid to the touch but could flow like a liquid. That was my first brush with chemistry. Little did I know that I would be pursuing a career in this field ten years down the road.

As an undergraduate majoring in Chemistry, I’ve come a long way from the young child fascinated by a corn starch mixture. I’ve acquired valuable experimental skills that one can only get from conducting experiments in a chemistry laboratory. Working in the laboratory has also taught me to prioritize as there is a tight schedule to follow when conducting experiments. Apart from that, I’ve also learnt to be resourceful while sourcing for information to complete my laboratory reports.

My temporary job stint as a customer service assistant has given me valuable insights on how to interact with people and resolve their problems amicably. I learnt that there are no hard and fast rules and every situation requires a different solution.

In my free time, I enjoy recreational sports such as kayaking, rollerblading and cycling. I find the notion of putting in effort to propel oneself forward very applicable to life. In life, however, the results of our hard work are not immediate. I recognize that and it serves as a reminder whenever I am going through rough times.

It might not be an easy, but I believe that the qualities I’ve gained so far would aid me in pursuing a career as a chemist.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Geok Ting, for this clear, concise and fluent post. I especially like the way you connect your sporting interests with life at large.

    With regard to your organization, I think it would be clearer and more effective if you started the essay with a statement similar to the one you have ended with. Focus the reader on your key areas right from the start and explicitly declare that there are two areas that show how you have the qualities that are required by a chemist.

    Thank you for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi geok ting,

    I find the start of your personal statement really interesting when you talk about how you were so fascinated about the corn starch when you were young. I can see that it indirectly shows your passion about being a chemist.


    Apart from sharing your laboratory experience on how it can help you as a chemist. You have shown yourselves as a well-rounded person when you talk about your interests in sports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Geok,

    Your post is a nice, concise one and I am pretty sure most aspiring scientists were amazed by something so simple at some point in their lives. :P

    Maybe you could elaborate in your concluding paragraph instead of it just being a single sentence?

    Other than that, good job, Geok!

    Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geok Ting,

    The one and only (minor) flaw that I manage to identify is that "kayaking, rollerblading and cycling" are not exactly "sports". Perhaps you would like to use a more generic term like "activities".

    Overall, your personal statement looks great!

    Ji Wei

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Geok Ting,

    It was a fantastic insight to your interest in chemistry. It was very engaging and interesting! You can also talk about putting your interpersonal skills to good use while working as a customer service assistant. I believe you should talk more about your personalities and traits. I also like the way you describe that one have to put in propel oneself in order to push forward. It’s the same logic and theory to the sports you play! Short and sweet! Well done!

    Shinye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all, thanks for commenting! I've made the necessary changes. Feel free to comment.

    ReplyDelete