Monday, September 21, 2009

Intercultural Communication


Meet Rover, my handsome golden retriever who loves to swim. Once, when I brought him to the beach, there was a Malay family swimming in the sea. As Rover walked towards the sea, the children screamed “Anjing!” (I’ve heard it often enough to know that it means dog in Malay) and the parents quickly ushered everyone out of the water and retreated to their picnic mat.

After Rover was done swimming, we went to the nearest toilet to rinse him off. While I was doing that, a Malay cleaner scolded me for polluting the waters. Since I was done with Rover, I decided not to argue with him and left. As we were walking back, I noticed that the Malay family had gone back to swimming in the sea.

Before letting Rover into the sea, I made sure that we were as far away as possible from the Malay family. By getting out of the sea while Rover was in it and getting back in once he was out, the Malay family communicated non-verbally that they were still uncomfortable being in the same waters as Rover, even though we were very far apart. The cleaner was more direct, verging on ethnocentrism, when he accused me of polluting the waters.

I understand from my neighbour, who is Malay, that Muslims view dogs as ritually impure. Thus, they are not allowed to come into contact with bodily fluids, such as saliva, of dogs. That was why the Malay family quickly exited when they saw Rover stepping into the sea and why the cleaner was displeased with me.

That was a one-off incident though. I’ve met Malays who smile politely and let Rover and I pass before going on their way, which I’m thankful for because there are others who bounce away from me, as though there’s a monster on the other end of the leash.

4 comments:

  1. hi geok ting,

    I guess you were very lucky to meet such nice people who could tolerate your 'misdeed' when you were negligent about their religious belief. A round of applause to the Malay family who could tolerate such cultural difference in the society. This is because, from my opinon, some would confront you (such as the cleaner you mentioned )when they thought you were doing it on purpose.

    I believe such cultural tolerance is very crucial in Singapore since we have different races residing here. We need to make an effort to understand each other cultures, therefore, avoid offending each other's belief. A small spark such as the incident you mentioned may lead to a racial outbreak.

    By the way, i thought that you should have apologised to the Malay family of your negligence before you let your dog into the water again. That would be the most appropriate action to foster racial harmony.

    Zikai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zikai,

    Thanks for commenting. Before that incident, I had no idea Muslims weren't allowed to come into contact with dogs' bodily fluids. I always thought they simply dislike dogs. That was why when I let Rover into the sea, I merely went as far away as possible.

    If I had known earlier, I would have gone to another stretch of beach, but it's no easy task to try and rein in Rover once he catches sight of the sea, so you could say I had no choice. Apologising would be good but I thought it would terrorise the Malay family more if I went any closer to them with Rover.

    I agree with you though, understanding each other's cultures is very important. All the neighbours on my floor are Malays, so I appreciate them not condemning Rover. On Hari Raya, my neighbours will pass my family some of the food they cook and in return my mother gives the kids "angpow". Personally I think that's quite interesting, how the two different culture blends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Geok,

    Wow, I didn't know that Muslims saw dogs as impure.Fortunately for you (and me), your neighbour explained why Muslims avoid Rover and dogs in general. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    Not only does cultural understanding and tolerance count, individual perspectives on things also counts. Some are more tolerant and understanding than others and therefore you get different reactions when they see you with Rover.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Rover! Does he know that he's stimulating such discussions!

    This is an very good description and analysis, Geok Ting. You focus well on a clear conflict situation, and describe it in detail with excellent fluency. You also present two very different reactions one from the cleaner and the other from the family. Your analysis and description of your own reaction is clear-headed as well.

    Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete