Friday, November 6, 2009

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Honestly speaking, presentations have never been my forte. I have always had this problem with voice projection and staying calm. My friends sometimes complain that I mumble to myself when I try to tell them something. Hence, I'm rather glad that I manage to at least speak audibly during the presentation.

Initially, I prepared my speech on a small piece of paper but decided to leave them in my bag at the last minute. I have no idea why I did that, maybe I was feeling confident. However, I still felt a little nervous during the presentation and left out the fact that some universities abroad have actually implemented compulsory CCA modules. This could actually have helped to make our case stronger.

In addition, I think I was referring back to the slides a little more than I should have, hence reducing my eye contact with the audience. Without the help of my notes, I forgot some of the points that I wanted to say so I had to refer back to the slides.

I think our slides are nicely done and looked professional (because I was the one who did it, haha) but we could have used more audiovisual materials. Initially we were toying around with the idea of doing a video on Mark and Calvin but decided against it due to time constraints.

Undeniably, our team’s Q&A session was the most exciting. Everyone had a lot of questions to ask and I thank Jing Ping for saving the team, even though she misunderstood the S/U part. I thought it would be better not to contradict her during the Q&A as it would not look good on our team.

Overall, this was a good experience.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Geok,

    You did well for your presentation. :) I did not notice that you were nervous during the presentation. You looked calm and natural and you had good pronunciation. It could be even better if you project your voice more and place greater emphasis on certain words.

    I thought you looked rather confident in the presentation :) Maybe you can capture the audience's attention more by maintaining eye contact with us longer as I noticed that it floated around. You can also lift up your countenance as you appeared tired.

    Apart from that, you have displayed good understanding of the topics and the transitions were smooth! Good job! :)

    Love,
    Nappy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Geok =)

    I did realize that you are nervous during the presentation too! I think you had a good relaxed posture and you used effective gestures to bring across your points. Moreover, I can feel your enthusiasm and confidence from the varied tones that you used during the presentation.

    I feel that referring to the slides is appropriately done. I think you made a right choice to keep your notes in your bag! This is much better than referring to the notes if you brought them.
    Geok, great job!

    I believe you are now much confident when speaking to your friends. =)

    Rebecca =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nappy and Rebecca,

    Thanks for commenting. =)

    Nappy: After ending my presentation, I realised I neglected eye contact as I busy thinking about what to say next. Guess that's something I have to work on, besides my voice projection. Also, I didn't just appear to be tired, I was really tired. I woke up at 5.30am for a test before the presentation. =P

    Rebecca: When speaking to friends, it's not so much of not having confidence, I just find it difficult to speak louder. Maybe I'm naturally soft-spoken. =P

    That aside, congrats on doing a good job for your presentation! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Geok, for this reflection, and for all your effort with the project, including the OP segment, which turned out very well for you three.

    I'll give you more comments later, but let me say that I was quite impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Geok Ting,

    Overall, your team had did a great job in this presentation. I had made my impression about your team's overall effort on Catherine's blog. you can refer to her comment for more information.

    I enjoy your beautiful voice beside good eye contact and clear projection. You are very relax throughout the presentation. The speed of your speech synchronise well with the flow of the presentation.

    However, there are too many points on some of your slides. Anyway, only afew points that you mentioned did not seems to appear on the slides.

    Thank you for such a fine effort you had put into this presentation :)

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brad and Patrick, for the comments.

    With regard to the information overload on some of the slides, I agree that that is something we have to work on. However, the omission of some points was done on purpose to prevent the audience from following the slides instead of the presenter. Seems like it didn't work that well.

    ReplyDelete