Friday, November 13, 2009

Reflection on Learning

One of the reasons why I chose to take ES2007S was that it would give me a 3-day week. I figured, since I am going to graduate next semester, I should take it easy. Even though it eventually didn't give me an easy time, I am glad I took it.

Right from the first class, when Brad had us running around to fill up that list, I knew this module would be different from the rest. In other tutorials, you would be considered lucky if the tutor asked everyone to introduce themselves. I appreciate Brad making the effort to let everyone to interact, by putting us in different groups for each class. It's nice to find myself back in a cosy classroom environment after graduating from junior college.

As for communication skills, I can't say for sure if I've improved but one thing is for sure - I've gained a better understanding of what communication is about. I've learnt what EQ is exactly and am trying to put it to good use. I've learnt to pay more attention to non-verbal cues. I've learnt how to write a resume, application letter, personal statement and proposal, all of which would come in handy soon. Another thing I like about ES is the feedback and review sessions. It gives true meaning to "the process is more important than the outcome".

All in all, I had fun taking ES2007S. Finally, there is a module which I don't dread going to class for. Thank you everyone, for making this class so enjoyable. Thank you, Brad, for sharing with us your knowledge and making this module fun.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Geok Ting,

    It is great to hear that you have truly enjoyed the entire module. As mentioned from my entry, this module's teaching style is truly different from the content intensive tutorials that i have gone through. However, i do also agree with you that the work here is quite intensive though consistent.

    Anyway, i would like to wish you all the best when you graduate with the relevant communication skills picked up from this course. However, i would like to warn that the outside world may be quite different when we meet different kinds of people. As mentioned by Daniel in his talk during our last lesson, we need to know how to apply the relevant skills learnt in different situations. The enviroment that we have practised our skills in is too idealistic when our peers are generally nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geok,

    I agree with what you wrote about gaining a better understanding of what communication is. I think we learnt about ourselves and what our strength and weaknesses are through interacting and working with others as well. I don't get that in other tutorial groups.

    It's been fun working in the same group with you (and Jing Ping) for peer teaching and the project. I am grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zi Kai,

    Thanks for the warning. There is no doubt that the working world is very much unlike the classroom environment. Even though at times I can't wait to graduate, I wonder how I'll survive in the working world so good luck to you as well, even though you stil have a few more years to go.

    Hi Catherine,

    Thanks for putting with with my randomness. It was great working with you too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Geok Ting,

    Your remark ("cosy classroom environment") makes me feel nostalgic for days in junior college - it's such a long time ago for me (arghh!). My guess is that for most science tutorials, tutors have barely enough time to finish what they need to go through, hence no time for any other form of interaction.

    I agree with you that the feedback and review sessions have been really beneficial. As a physics major, for some modules, my assignments and exam scripts enter a "black box" and all I get is a grade (at the end of the semester), as the only form of feedback. As a result, I won't know where I did right or wrong, which feels kind of weird. I believe you share my sentiments.

    Regards,
    Ji Wei

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi geok!

    I agree with you about the cosy classroom environment. I really really miss that and I really wish that all NUS classes will be just like ES2007s.
    Like you, I have learnt so many valuable lessons from this module. I believe we can bring these lessons with us everywhere we go in future.
    Glad that I had the opportunity to work with you and catherine. I'm sorry if I was a little crazy at times. Hope you enjoyed my company as much as i enjoyed yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ji Wei,

    I agree that time is an important factor, given that we attend 4 hour lectures per week and now that I'm in year 3, I almost don't have any tutorials for my core modules. There is only time for the lecturers to data dump on us.

    Also, I think the feedback and review sessions are good. We don't really get that in the past, do we?

    Hi Jing Ping,

    I had fun working with you as well! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Geok, for this honest and informative reflection. I always like to hear why students might have signed up for the course. Your motivation is quite original: 3 days a week of classes! I don't fault you for that at all. In fact, I can only say that we were lucky that you joined us. Your sometimes pointed questions and comments kept me on my toes, and your effort with the course content, from the peer teaching to the project work, was exemplary in many ways. Yes indeed, it's all about the process. I'm sure you learned a thing or two going through the communication processes in ES207S ---and we all learned from you as well.

    Best of luck to you in your future!

    ReplyDelete